Monday, March 11, 2013

hello old friend

We've had a staring match for weeks on end.

From the highest reaches of the bookshelf, I'd feel the stares pressing on me like one of those red laser dots from a gun in a crime show. About those red laser dots- my dad always says- You never want one of those things on you. Wise man, my father.

I stretched high on tiptoes, trying desperately not to shatter the precariously perched blue and white Oriental urn into a thousand pieces on my head, finally retrieving my old friend the laptop as I hmph'ed safely back to flat, bare feet on cold hardwoods.

And after all that, we sat, blink blink blinking, just looking at one another. One of us a blank screen, a machine of a master, daring me to make the words come out.

I walked away, red laser on my back. The words felt itchy and forced and I hated it. So much good and challenging and funny has occurred since my last post- the end of November 2012- that has marked my heart and even the lens of my camera... and yet, the words would not come.

Until now.

Tonight I picked up my laptop so swiftly and with such fervor, that urn could have rained down like confetti all around me and I would've called it a celebration. In truth, I was never really fond of the urn anyway.

We've welcomed our first NYC Christmas and a brand new year, hello 2013. Snowy Central Park walks, Ottomanelli muffins for my favorite birthday boy and the joy of a marriage, six years strong. Each recollection a reminder that life is full and meant to be lived with great abandon.

Today, I'm choosing to celebrate these little words. Though shaky as a bumped piece of painted porcelain, they've finally come.


young Molly who never had trouble finding words | a reminder of my face


18 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Very happy to read your words again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh oh oh! You're back! I am SO HAPPY. NO pressure, just happy for me (selfishly).

    (What the hell is with all these crappy Anons?? )

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy to be reading your words again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so, so good to have you back and to hear your words again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, your words send chills up my arms.

    Seriously, Molly, I am so very glad you are writing again. You are very loved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome back! so happy to see you in my reader again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray! I love this post, full of beautiful and simple and honest writing. I hope to read more of your words again soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your back! I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, hello! I've missed you! Glad you won the staring contest!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!!! I've missed you in this space. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Molly! So glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello friend! You've been so missed 'round these parts... So happy to have you and your beautiful words back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are back. I always enjoy reading your blog.

    Maggy, seriously!!??!! I am one of those "crappy anons" because I don't want to sign up to the other options. I do try to remember to sign my comment but, sometimes forget. Not today...Jace

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you've given another glimpse of life in NYC. Missed hearing from you... Love the laser comment from your dad...so Mr. Andy... ;) jmg

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely surprise this morning...finding you back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. so good. nice to 'hear' from you.

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh