Friday, July 27, 2012

my own retraction

Some while back, I got an anonymous comment my blog. In case you missed it, Anonymous basically told me my posts and writing were lame and that I should feel free not to blog every day if I was only going to post crap, essentially.

Blogging is a funny thing. We bloggers are shapeshifters, storytellers, yarn spinners. It's a choice. To portray this side of us, but not that side. To write with vulnerability, to document a memory, to draw a line in the sand, to be funny, to be serious. I've never understood why you would show up at someone's blog, take your own time to read their words and then slam them. The writer has a choice to write. The reader has the choice to read. There's also this really cool feature on the internet where you can click off a page and on to another one if you don't like what you are reading or if you aren't being entertained. I'm not suggesting that we all have to share the same opinions or that a writer and a reader must have parallel points of view. However, I don't think kindness is ever lost on a person. Show me your different perspective, but how about do it with kindness & maturity?

I took that evening I'd received the comment, thought about what Anony had said and then wrote a response in the form of a blog post the following day. I basically said, I do this gig for me. I don't do it to have followers or to get famous, but to mark down memories for my little family.

Anony came back with a vengeance, scoffing that my response was so blogger typical. That I claim to do it for myself when really all I am concerned about is being liked and making friends.

Although this post might tend to make you think otherwise, I haven't given much thought to those words of Anonymous until recently. In the words of Duck Commander, looky here, looky here, I am making a retraction.

I, molly b, love making friends. I love friends that I have met at the bar and friends I have met at church. Friends from high school and friends from college. Friends I've met online and friends who live in my building. Friends who are mamas, friends who are single. Friends who travel to Dubai for work & friends who've never crossed the Mason Dixon.

Watching friendships grow into a loving, supporting community within this realm of blogging has been such a beautiful thing. It is not the reason I started blogging (I had no clue what I was getting myself into), nor is it the driving motivation to sit down behind the screen to write (I truly do that for myself, to give my words a place to land, to document my little family of two), but I will tell you this... It is one of the most rewarding parts of this journey.

I suppose Anonymous was right about me. I do love making friends and I can almost assure you that will never change.

:::

This past week, I had the honor of spending time with four beautiful women. I dare say it was providential.

One loves hotdogs, has sharp wit and a killer closet of shoes. She's also one of the most talented and intelligent women I've ever met.

Another lives life so fully that all around her are inspired to do the same. Her joy and light are literally contagious.

Another is a wife and mama and hilarious writer. But there is so much more to her and I've only caught a glimpse. A friend of a couple hours that felt more like a friend of a lifetime.

Another is a kindred spirit yearning for an adventure to claim as her own. I'd say she is well on her way. She and her husband left behind all that is familiar and known and are currently en route to Israel to live among and serve the people of Jerusalem.

My life is richer for knowing these women. They are each unique and beautiful and real. If you cut them, they will bleed. As it were, each of these friendships were formed through blogging.







Genuine friendships, the ones formed online and the ones formed just down the street, are gifts in my life and if I ever suggested otherwise, well... consider this my own retraction.


26 comments:

  1. This was beautiful, Molly. I'm really glad we met the way we did, and I can't wait to see you NEXT WEEK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly wait. Seriously. Tell Mike I'm coming and I may never leave.

      Delete
  2. I like this. I really like this. I always feel like I'm supposed to be blogging for myself and not care what others think. I'm not in it for the money or for popularity, but is a friend now and then too much to ask? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimberly. And it's absolutely not too much to ask!

      Delete
  3. Love this! Saw those comments and thought just what you said-close the page if you don't like it! Step off!

    We are created to be known. It's a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The writer has the choice to write. The reader has the choice to read."
    I love that. This was one of those posts that put my own thoughts into perfect, beautiful words. Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. please dont cut me.


    but seriously, thank you. you made me blush. I am so grateful that this crazy thing we call blogging brought us together. You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really, really good. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Blogging is a funny thing. We bloggers are shapeshifters, storytellers, yarn spinners. It's a choice. To portray this side of us, but not that side. To write with vulnerability, to document a memory, to draw a line in the sand, to be funny, to be serious. I've never understood why you would show up at someone's blog, take your own time to read their words and then slam them. The writer has a choice to write. The reader has the choice to read."

    Seriously, gold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it, I LOVE it. Blogging friends are an unexpected gift, and you are such a solid friend. I love your words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with this post and even more so, I am in love with you. YOU are a beautiful person. So glad you are my friend!

    These words are perfect. I love the quote Kate mentioned up there. Really, it's perfect what you've written and so true. If there is one thing I have learned in this life it's that it is SO MUCH easier to be kind. So much more fulfilling, so much better.

    I'm glad you've had such an awesome week with all these lovely people. You deserve these friendships because you are such a true friend yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you always know just how to say it AND with grace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So well written friend.
    It's honest, you know how I feel about honest.
    In that vein, I'm jealous I'm not your only friend.
    Hmm, what?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anony can eat my farts.

    I love this post SO MUCH. Pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post is amazing, Molly. Tears down in my chest, mostly because it's so sweet how much you love those around you. I love how you described Colleen and Anna. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Molly, saw this from Candis. I have had a few rudies on my blog and know how much it can sting. People that have the time and energy to do that must really be hurting or broken inside, is what I've concluded.

    This was beautiful and so true. Keep on keeping' on, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad for the friends you continue to make. I love how you reach out to people and love them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For what it's worth, I love ALL your posts. I love the beautiful women I have "met" in our little corner of the world and even if they just pop up with a post to say "the sun is up and I'm eating a bagel", I am always happy to hear from these ladies.

    This is a fantastic post! Many hugs to you Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It blows when you get anon comments, people hiding and spewing bullshit. I write and I know there are days when it isn't going to be awesome, but I write anyway, it's ALL part of it. Take it with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that as soon as I read "loves hotdogs" I totally knew it was Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you're a great story teller, photographer, and all around blogger. i like your blog... a mix of fun and serious, daily and extraordinary. mean people are miserable souls! blog on sista...

    ReplyDelete
  20. i don't understand why people feel the need to post negative comments, no-one is forcing you to read. and if you want to say something negative at least don't hide behind anonymous have the courage to put your name to your opinion.

    having just found your blog i know that anon is totally wrong--i love your blog already :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully + wonderfully written. I only know you through Elizabeth of E Tells Tales and I never really took the them to come to your blog until now. I'm hooked. Your writing flows in my mind with an ease, you're honest + genuine, and your photographs are beyond lovely. I hope to make blogger friends like you someday!

    Keep on blogging. I'm looking forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Molly, you have such an awesome gift for making friends and pursuing people. And it has been SO much fun getting to know you through blogging!

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh