Thursday, July 5, 2012

It's not that I hate summer per se






My reputation for not loving summer seems to precede me among all my friend groups.
It's not uncommon for me to be in a circle of friends and one exclaim something like, Man, I loooove summer!!! and then give me a pitiful look and say, Sorry, Molly! with such great affect you'd think they were telling me they hated rainbows and puppies.
It's not that I hate summer exactly. I just hate to sweat once I'm all showered up for the day.
Granted, summer is not my favorite time of the year, but I don't disdain it all together.
Enter Rockaway Beach.
My first trip to a New York beach will not be my last.
Thankfully, I went with seasoned veterans of this particular beach and they introduced me to the heaven that is Rockaway Taco, a striped taco shack perfectly fitting for the hunger that accompanies any trip to a sandy shore.
We had two sweet little boys who made the trip with us. I don't know who was more excited, us or them.
Growing up near the gulf coast, I am strongly biased to our sugary sands and crystal waters, but I did find a place in my heart for Rockaway.
After all, I do not hate the summer.
Especially when a day at the beach promises such sweet reprieve from sweat and stick and steam.

14 comments:

  1. I am usually summers biggest fan but this year it is about to do me in. This heat has been insane and at 8 months pregnant it is making me very cranky! I might just be turning into a summer scrooge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stickiness on the body IS kind of gross after all. Adorable picture of those two boys. Pure summer fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we went there last year - its a great beach as are the tacos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When is your birthday? I'm convinced that people born in summer can't help but love it and that winter babies prefer the more mild seasons and colder ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. $3 tacos? gimme.

    also, that beach looks pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a picture of summer! I NEED BEACH.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PICTURE PERFECT SUMMER.

    Glad you had a good time at the beach. That looks like a reeeeeal good one to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beaches give summer it's soul. It's just the way it is.
    So glad you got some reprieve friend, send some my way.
    We're burning up out here...literally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you sister. I was born for AC. (that's air conditioning, not atlantic city). But the beach calls my name on days where there is a nice breeze.

    So glad you have found a pice of NY summer you can cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great pics! I kinda hate the summer. But not tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ugh I hate sweating after I've showered and dressed for the day. And lately just walking to my car is reason enough to break a sweat in this heat! But give me a beach and a breeze and I'm all over that kind of summertime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. BEACH BEACH BEACH!!!! My favorite place in the world. Though being pregnant has made me dislike lots about the summer. For a while I went on a clothing strike until my husband turned the air on. When you are pregnant, going without clothes becomes a threat, I guess...

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh