Wednesday, June 13, 2012

hands at work + a family recipe






Hands are some of my favorite features.
The stories they tell of hard working days, of feeding children, of clothing them.
Of tender comforting. Of happy pastimes being fulfilled. Of giving life.

My dad's hands, filled with character, tell mountains of stories.
Never idle, always busy, ever piddling around.

On my last trip home to Alabama, he graciously cooked breakfast for my mom and me.
Creamy, buttery grits. Eggs. Sausage & bacon.
Biscuits in an old cast iron skillet, from scratch and absolutely perfect.
My Mudder, his grandmother's recipe.

Mother's Day came and we celebrated with real whipped cream, fresh strawberries and pound cake.
Our version of a build-your-own strawberry shortcake.
His hands, at work again, celebrating all the women in his life,
my mom and grandmothers and aunt and me.

I look at my own hands and I hope they'll become more like his.
Eager to help, willing to serve, happy to celebrate.

:::

Aunt Hilda's Pound Cake
8 oz cream cheese
3 sticks butter
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups plain flour
1.5 tsp vanilla

Ingredients should be at room temperature.
Mix together butter, cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
Alternate adding flour and eggs.
Add vanilla last. Mix well.

Your oven needs to be cold. Do not pre-heat.
Bake at 300 degrees.
1.5 hours for a tube pan. 1 hour for 3 loaf pans.
1 hour for 11x14 traditional cake pan.


Gather 'round your friends and family and celebrate the hands that made you who you are today.

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! Hopefully it becomes a staple around here like Rigo Potato Soup has (I served it to the Jonses!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. molly made me potato soup one night when i really needed it, and it was amazing. keep up the great recipes molly!

      Delete
  2. I have a hard time with pound cake batter, I want to eat it all! :) Wish I had one of those biscuits about now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS. Just love.

    And it looks so delicious, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those hands on that cast iron skillet tell the whole story. Thanks for sharing...the yummy recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I love using my mom's hand cranked egg beater when I go home. Just loved these pics!

      Delete
  5. Such lovely photos and even more beautiful memories! Am loving your blog's new look! SOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh gawd y'all. biscuits made from scratch in a cast iron pan?! i am so jealous. i want - i NEED - my hands to do this one day. do you have a cast iron pan? can we try this one night? i just really need to master this. also, i'm obsessed with biscuits, in case you can't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! One of my favourite features is just around the eyes. I feel like you can tell what kind of person you're seeing by looking there. My papa has the most wonderful eyes. They're nice and wrinkled at the edges, and his baby blues have softened with age. You look at him and you just know he's someone you can trust.

    My second fav is the hands, too.

    I can't wait to try your recipe. I think I might do it for fathers day this weekend. What would you suggest serving it with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm a genius and I just realized you already told us what to serve it with. I've been up since 6am and trying to get my babe to sleep for the last two hours, so I'm not exactly on my A game. Just ignore me :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful tribute to your daddy. Thank you for sharing that and the wonderful pound cake recipe. I bet it's divine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I literally just went on a spree last night telling my friend all the many ways i love poundcake. This was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post, Molly. Thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hands are special. When Stephen hurt his hand, my dad made the observation that hands are the second most personal feature, only second to our face. I thought how true b/c I could pick my family's hands out of thousands. Hands tell stories.

    Yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, now I want some biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. good words: "I look at my own hands and I hope they'll become more like his.
    Eager to help, willing to serve, happy to celebrate."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! I will have to try that pound cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Molly, Thanks for Aunt Hilda's recipe. Everyone around here is out of town and I need to make it for welcome to the neighborhood gifts and back to school gifts. You saved me several phone calls :)

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh