Saturday, January 21, 2012

a memory for safekeeping

I tiptoed to the window ever so softly, trying not to wake my sleeping man, bundled and snug under the down comforter.

I just had to know.

Twice I checked. Three times.

Nothing.

Back to bed.

I closed my eyes, but sleep would not come.

I stole away to my laptop, reading the words of both friends and strangers in blogland.

I spent the next hour vowing to paint a headboard bright yellow, crying silent tears over the late-term miscarriage of a woman I've never met and determining that if I read any more Keep Calm signs on pinterest I might just swear outloud.

My eyes were getting heavy, but I decided to check once more.

I tiptoed my quiet path back to the window.

And there it was.

Snow.

Coming down in soft, wispy puffs. Covering the trees and the leaves and the windshields of cars. Shimmering like so much glitter on the cold ground.

I stood there by my window, paused. Just watching.

Only a couple other windows were alight casting the smallest glow on our sleepy street.

Snuggled back in our warm bed, I couldn't help myself.

Justin, the snow! It's here. And with that, he buried his warm, tousled head into my neck and whispered, I'm glad, my baby.

I'm pretty glad myself.

My winter has come.


early January morning outside my window

14 comments:

  1. When I looked out the window and saw the snow, my heart perked up. It just isn't winter without snow.

    Now if we can just keep the rain away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So precious and what a beautiful writer you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Just lovely. I want to see the snow again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the sweetest things I've ever read :)

    Happy Snowfall, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to meet you in real life so I can give you the hug I want to give you every time I read one of your posts. If I had written this it would have said, "I was waiting for it to snow and then it started to snow." You even made anticipation sound beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the nicest compliments. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. LOVE this so much. You made me reappreciate the snow that I've been hating so up here in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU JUST MADE ME CRY TALKING ABOUT SNOW.

    You good girl.

    You good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, Molly. You have a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this! You have such a way with words. now I'm super sad that we probably won't get any snow this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a great way to describe an early morning on the computer. quiet. dark. i can relate - minus the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this. Glad you Southerners are enjoying your NYC snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do have such an art of writing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, you have such a way with words. I was dying with anticipation and then wanted to shout SNOW!!

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh