Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Santa Claus came to town. Mrs. Claus, too.

My very own Santa Claus came to New York City and brought my mama with him.
We all have a slight affinity for Angry Birds.

We did a bit of window shopping.

Pausing to get a special sendoff from the FAO toy soldiers for some of our favorite little friends at home.

Oh the memories of Cabbage Patch Kids.
FAO was commemorating the 1983 doll, the one that came out the year I was born. Serendipity.
When I was four, I got to pick out my own baby, Leoni, at the Cabbage Patch Hospital.
Leoni had a friend who looked just like this doll with the sailor dress and all... she belonged to my friend Anne.
We were good little mamas.

Next up, the Apple store. I think my mom and I were still mesmerized by FAO.

It was my Dad's turn to play.
He said, I bet Angry Birds would be awesome on an iPad.

We had a special date to see the Radio City Rockettes.

Thom Filicia decked their halls this year.

Such a beautiful show and so very worth it.

Introducing my parents to The Tree. We're old friends now.

I loved seeing the look of wide-eyed wonder on my mom's face. I know the exact way she was feeling.

Meanwhile, I think J was looking for Liz Lemon.

Dinner at The Smith. Get the jalapeƱo cheese grits.

Dad and I made a stop by one of our favorite local bakeries to get treats for Mama and J. And us.

I like the sight of them at the subway. They make me proud adapting to city life so well.

Apparently, Santa and his helpers ride the subway, too.

On our way to shop the holiday markets at Grand Central and Union Square,
Mama and I heard Junior's cheesecake calling our names.
The look on my mom's face says it all.

Santas in Grand Central getting ready for a flash mob.

Holiday market shopping with cider.
It was good, but not as good as the Rigo Swazzle.

Dropping by Chelsea Market, home to the Food Network, another family fave.

Making a garland for our little tree.

Sunday morning we went to Brooklyn and heard some of the most amazing music I've ever heard.

Dinner at Molly's Irish Pub. This place is swiftly becoming one of my favorite places in the city.
The wood burning fireplace makes the place feel especially cozy on such chilly nights.

Family Almost Christmas Dinner.
J carving his very first turkey which was amazing. He won the title of Official Turkey Cooker.

I am a fortunate woman... my husband loves my parents and my parents love my husband.
We had big nights out and cozy nights in.

It was a very merry Almost Christmas with the people I love most.

21 comments:

  1. wow - what a trip! and you went back to molly's - i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is WOW! I'm always impressed with how much you pack into a trip. I'm so glad you are having a Merry Christmas in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I LOVED my cabbage patch kids too. My first one was a boy and i choose him myself. His name was Claude Willy. He now hangs out in herresons room with all the other toys.

    It looks like you all had a wonderful time! I love me some Mitchells and Rigolosos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thoroughly enjoying these Christmas (almost) in NYC posts, Molly.

    And ever since I saw your candles in wine bottles, I've wondered if it would look as classy to do candles in beer bottles (we don't have any spare wine around, but I could chug a few beer if I had to).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this. i want xmas in nyc, dammit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a wonderful visit! I am so jealous!! I've been begging my mom for us to do a girls' trip to NYC again! I want to be in NYC so bad!!! We could hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't even know where to start talking about all the things I loved about this post. I loved all the places you went with your parents; it looked like so much fun. The lights at Radio City Music Hall were amazing, and a Santa flash mob? How fun is that? :) I especially loved all the Christmas light bokeh from that big, beautiful tree. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that your parents are able to come visit you - your "almost Christmas" Christmas sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh molly, it all sounds so magical. and your mama's face looking at the tree, she could just as easily be a seven year old version of herself. love that she still stands in awe of the beauty of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your parents are the cutest! It looks like you had such a good time with them and you did so many fun nyc things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY!! Looks like an amazing trip! So glad you got to see the Rockettes! I am happy that Molly's is becoming a favorite... I was there for the first ever visit! :) Merry Christmas my friend! Oh, and love, love, love the pic in front of the tree... such great memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the Brooklyn Tab! One of my favorite spots when I visited NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post makes me want to visit NYC soon badly. And next week, when I'm down in CT for the holidays, I think I might just have to make a trip!!

    Glad you had such a lovely time with your parents.. It looks like it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE these photos... Happy Almost Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything about this makes me happy. I especially like the very last photo of your home all decked out and table made. So cozy and sweet. Glad you had such a wonderful almost Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this post was awesome..makes me want to be in nyc at christmas, oh wait, i just was! ha...now i really wish we could've stayed till dark!! oh well...but we sure did have the best tour guide ever! thanks again molly, so much! it was GREAT to see you and finally meet you <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. New York looks lovely. I wish I could be there with you drinking hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. New York at Christmastime . . . Wow!

    Furthermore, your parents are so charming; as are Mr. & Mrs. Rigoloso.

    I must ask - did you buy a hat at Bloomingdales? If so, yours would be no mistake; I'm sure of it! ;)

    Love you, friend, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I love you parents, I want to visit them!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog always puts a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't blog stock this post without telling you I also received Leoni for Chritmas is 1983...along with the premie named Lester... This post was great!

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh