Saturday, December 31, 2011

Remember the old + Welcome the new

I am sitting here in New York City on my buttercream microsuede corporate apartment couch feeling the way I normally feel as the end of a year draws to a close.
I always have an urge to capture the memories of the passing year and lock them up, 
hold them close, preserve them from ever leaving my heart.

There's something so exciting about the promise of a new year.
What will it hold? What surprises will there be?
So many different thoughts race through our minds depending on what season of life we find ourselves in...
Will this be the year I land the job of my dreams?
Will I meet the love of my life?
Will this be the year I get pregnant?
Will I finally get to retire?
Will I be able to purchase my first house?

I think we all like the idea of a clean slate. A brand new year with no mistakes in it yet.
A fresh year to accept our own challenges to cook more or exercise daily or tackle a new DIY.

And while I am excited to behold all that 2012 has for me and my little family,
I don't want to forget the past year, the one that shaped us into who we are today,
the one that helped bring us to this very place.

Here are a few of my favorite memories from 2011.

January / moved to New York City in the middle of a blizzard
February / learned to navigate our fair city
March / hung out with Jimmy Fallon
April / found our favorite pizza in Brooklyn

May / welcomed Spring to the city
June / discovered Central Park at dusk
July / dined outdoors
August / introduced my parents to the Big Apple

September / walked in the cool of the day
October / met some of my favorite ladies in Boston
November / celebrated Thanksgiving with friends in NYC
December / bought our first city Christmas tree

Thanks for being such a great year, 2011. I liked you a whole lot.
2012, bring it on. You've got some shoes to fill.

Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?
Anne of Green Gables

Happy New Year, friends.


16 comments:

  1. I love the way you describe holding onto the memories of the year - it's so true!

    Personally, I need a new year and that fresh, clean, lovely slate - so yes, BRING IT ON 2012! (and let's hope those silly Mayans were wrong about that whole world ending thing, because that would totally cramp mah style)!

    Happy New Year Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year lady! oh i loved these pics. the blizzard in jan. that amazing pizza. central park at dusk. dining al fresco. buying a christmas tree late at night. this city of ours is good to make memories in - and i'm glad i found you to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you, too, Molly! I was thinking of doing a post with my favorite pics from the past year, but I'm not sure if it will happen this late in the game. :) I loved your memories and am thankful for 2011 with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I love all of these pictures! What a wonderful year!!

    I also love love love that quote from Anne of Green Gables! It's one that I think of pretty regularly :)

    Happy New Year Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you wrote this post with one photo per month. What a great year! I got to meet YOU this year! I'll never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you did with the pictures! Great way to look back and hold memories dear.

    And the Anne of Green Gables quote - LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think 2012 has big things in store for you. Just sayin'

    Thanks for always inspiring me!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved seeing your 2011 recap, and - as always - getting to read your beautiful heart.

    And I'm so glad you ended with the quote. That was in my mind as I began reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, Rigos! Can't wait to see where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year to you two! I wonder how long I can go without making any mistakes in 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! Great post. Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HNY MMR!

    Is that Savannah in the September picture? Probably not, but it reminds me of it. I love this post, fun to see your year all together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that central park picture at dusk is awesome. as is that pizza in brooklyn. i want some pizza with molly in brooklyn, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, Molly!!

    Happy 2012, friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh molly. you always are great with sentiments. and I couldn't imagine a better year-end wrap up. so excited that we made your October, because you certainly made mine!

    p.s. could that anne of green gables quote be any more perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post. I just love it. I want to copy it. But I won't because that would be stealing. Plus, it is way to late now...

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh