Monday, November 28, 2011

a note to myself + scenes from a very happy Thanksgiving

Dear 15-year-old Molly,
You're watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade while Mama makes the ambrosia that Uncle Tom loves so much and Dad sharpens the turkey carving knives.
You sit crossed legged on the den floor still amazed at all those big floats just like when you were 5.
Snoopy is still your favorite even as a teenager.
You will wonder today if you will ever get to visit New York City.
Mama says maybe we could all visit one day with someone who has been to NYC before, who can help us navigate the big city.
You sigh and think to yourself, Maybe so.
But how about this?
One day you will be married to a man that makes you more happy than every boyfriend combined.
I know you can't imagine it now, but it's true.
And not only will he make you happy, but he will take you on adventures you really only dreamed about.
You will not only see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with your very own eyes, but you will live in that big city you've loved for so long.
And your parents will come visit you and you will be the one to help them navigate your big city because it is, in fact, your home.
It will be magical. Just you wait.
Signed,
your grownup self


my NYC friend Amber and her parents visiting from Texas





this made me want to bake something



As this guy was approaching I said to Amber, Look it's RuPaul!
Yeah, I totally meant Paul Frank.
That's Julius the monkey, one of Paul Frank's most famed cartoon characters.
At least I got the Paul part right.

he's still my favorite one of all

Alabama's Homewood band represented us well

as did Mobile's trail maids

What's Thanksgiving without Neil Diamond? This is America, after all.

In the air one minute...

and directly in front of me the next. Spiderman is nothing if not stealthy.



My Dad would have loved hearing these guys.


And then... and then!

It's Santa Claus! Let Christmas officially begin.

Unfortunately, Justin's work schedule didn't allow him to join us at the parade,
but we did have an amazing meal with our friends.

Amber's berry cobbler was the star of the show.

We did it. We celebrated Thanksgiving in NYC.
It's been our home for nearly a year now.

It really is better than I ever could have imagined.
Told you so, Molly Mitchell. Told you so.

24 comments:

  1. Hands touching hands reaching out touching me touching youuuuuuuuu!
    Confession: I love Neil Diamond. Swoon.

    This is such a sweet post, Molly Mitchell. And what a cool name. I'm glad things are so happy.

    I've never watched the parade on tv, but these pictures make me want to! So pretty and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 15 year old self must have a BIG ol' smile on her face right about now!

    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha - i loved your captions.

    and i loved even more the note to yourself! so amazing where life can take you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks like you had a great time. so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Thanksgiving is all about family, but dang, your's looked amazing! I just told my hubs that I want to be in NYC next Thanksgiving and he told me to have fun. :) Guess I need to start planning. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those were such beautiful and great parade pictures! I'm glad you had so much fun, and isn't is so wonderful when dreams come true? I loved the confetti in your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my first Thanksgiving in New York, too! We didn't go to the parade since there was so much food to prepare, and honestly, neither of my parents or my boyfriend seemed too keen on it. But for some reason, watching it on tv and just knowing it was happening not too far away made it totally different.

    I love your letter to your young self. I know just how you feel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful pictures, Molly! Thank you so much for sharing them with us; both of my children send their gratitude, too!

    {Snoopy and Buzz Lightyear were their favorites:)}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg Santa!! You did it Molly Mitchell, and I am, like, super jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool...just how cool! ;) My little man was amazed at the parade on tv. Maybe one day you can show us around NYC. Happy Thanksgiving & now, Merry CHRISTmas! :)jmg

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH Molly Mitchell...your letter gave me the chills. So full circle.

    "Destiny."

    Also, Mr. Leaf with an acorn hat cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay, this post legit made me cry.

    and then laugh so much at all your photo comments, esp. the one about the guy happy to be in the parade. LOL.

    and I want Amy's cobbler yumyum. gimmegimmegimme.

    Your last name used to me Mitchell? I like. Molly Mitchell. What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this was beautiful...i definitely teared up. then proceeded to crack up at your captions. looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was the 1st year the girls were really old enough to watch the parade and enjoy it. I thought of you as they begged to go there one day. (I was thinking to myself I have never been to NY and the Riggo's are the only people I know there) Isla was amazed at the Rockettes! I have the cutest video of her pretending to be one! I hope one day we can come and see the parade live!

    Glad to see you two had a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome pictures from the parade!! Happy Thanksgiving, Rigolosos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. In one of the pictures of you and Amber you appear to have confetti in your hair. It is a 100% appropriate look for you and I think we all need more confetti in our lives. Way to go, Molly Mitchell - us girls from Alabama know how to live a fun life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. loved the parade highlights. I was too busy cooking to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love, love, love that you were able to go to the parade. And it looks like you had the perfect place to stand and watch! Fabulous pictures Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. IM SO JEALOUS!!!! I did look for you while i watched. I can only imagine how incredible it must be to live in new york during this magical time. I have always wanted to be at the parade. I love your letter to yourself. You are a brilliant writer! i love you and missed seeing you this Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So amazing where life can lead. I think back to my 15 year old self and think she would drop dead if she knew where I spend Thanksgiving just 9 years later.

    I love how your posts always make me think...

    Looks like you had a lovely thanksgiving :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. the letter to yourself warmed my heart. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. MkM, You're the bomb and I love you! I am so glad to have known your 15 year old self and your grown up self, too. You were just as awesome then as you are now! I watched the parade while cooking with my momma this year and couldn't help but think about you and look for you in the crowds! Didn't see you but I looked! :) I am so glad you had a great time. Love the pic's!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stephen Small would flip out over all those floats. I'm laughing at the man-leaf with the bad attitude. He he he.

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh