Thursday, October 6, 2011

Questions Answered, part 4

. . .
Q: I really want some fabulous adult perfume for Christmas (by adult I mean, not Bath and Body spray). I'm scared of perfume being too heavy and fancy for me. I think you could probably recommend some classy, expensive perfumes that I can then make my husband buy for me. I like citrusy, grassy stuff. I don't like smelling musky, and I don't like smelling like a girly mixed drink. I tend to like the smell of men's perfumes, oddly enough. Go.
. . .
I love this! Good smelling cologne and perfume and I go way back.
My Dad has a cologne collection that puts the Nordstrom cologne department to shame.
As a little girl, I'd hug him and try to guess which one he'd chosen that day.
I still do it.
When he and my mom began dating in high school, he'd always give her Chanel No 5 as a gift.
And he still does.
One of her first memories of him was that he always smelled so good.
And she'd try to figure out which one he'd chosen that day, too.

I have a vivid memory of standing up on my tip toes, eye level to my mom's dresser, mesmerized by the elegantly shaped glass bottles of the intoxicating smells.
She kept them on a mirrored tray rimmed in brass filigree.
And she still does.
I couldn't wait to grow up and have a tray of my very own good smelling glass bottles.

My collection.

Perhaps it's because I grew up with my parents choosing different scents for different days that I tend to do the same.
Some are strictly for special occasions. Others for a girls' night out. Some for late night, ooh la la.
Some for everyday.

That being said, here are The Classics According to Yours Truly...


"Waves of freshness collide with floral notes and merge with sensual, sweet and spicy elements.
Surprising femininity, energy, daring, a hint of sexiness and delicious naughtiness.
CHANCE is a fragrance drawn like a tightrope above the unpredictable.
It's a fragrance that calls exciting what others might call dangerous."

Chance is a strong scent, but I wear it often and feel all classy like I'm channeling Coco herself.
molly R

"A sensual velvety blend of langsat fruit, ginger, white peach, and sandlewood
with subtle floral undertones
"

Sake doesn't smell fruity or floral to me, but bold and spicy.
me

 

"Inspired by her love of layering unexpected fragrances, Sarah Jessica Parker blends a scent of pure innocence with the exotic nature of a precious oil and the sophistication of a fine perfume.
Lavender, orchid and amber mingle with apple martini, paper whites and musk.
The result, Sarah Jessica Parker's casual glamour fashioned into a fragrance."

Dear Reader Who Asked This Question: I know this has the words apple martini and musk in the description.
Just try it.

"Named for the address of the first store in Paris, Faubourg Saint Honoré,
24 Faubourg represents a romantic saga, a sensual story.
It is a fragrance of radiance and light, the expression of a high noon sunny day.
Floral, woody, amber.
"

This is on my wish list. Kinda pricy, but I think it will make me feel like a powerful French broad.
yours truly

"The One is a warm, oriental floral, with modern sensuality - a fragrance with a strong personality, and a contrasting golden sweetness.
Created for the ultimate diva, The One is at once tempting, modern, and glamorous, embracing a touch of classicism."

Definitely the softest perfume on this list. Almost smells powdery. Like baby powder for adults, maybe.
me, again

 
All perfumes vary from person to person.
The greatest suggestion I could give would be go to the store and try it on your wrist not one of those papers before you commit.
And when all else fails, buy a bottle because you think it's pretty and then get excited when you see it on your dresser every day.

Chanel Chance one , two / Fresh Sake one / SJP Lovely one , two  / Hermès 24 Faubourg one / D&G one

15 comments:

  1. My questions are the best questions of all the questions.

    And I'm sorry, but most of their descriptions were ridiculously funny. "Ultimate diva." Hahhaha.

    But, I'm totally going to Macy's and smelling these. Then putting the one I like on my pinterest and making my spouse gift them to me.

    Thanks Molly. You make me a whole lot classier than I would be otherwise. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. truth. putting it on your wrist will tell you if it's for you or not. mine is dior pure poison. oh how i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I love that you have a tray of lovely glass bottles just like your mama. I'm inspired to buy perfume now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are probably the classiest person I know.

    I can't wait to hug and smell you and guess your perfume.

    Now I want a tray of perfumes too, except that I rarely even wear deodorant.

    So when you hug me you'll just me like, "oh did you have panera for lunch?"

    I just grossed myself out with this comment. I am going to put on my Toms apricot deodorant now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been envious of your perfume collection! I'm doing good to have one bottle that I wear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love trying new perfumes but usually try too many at once to know which ones I like after I'm finished. :-/ Can I come and try yours out to decide which one I like best? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fancy lady! I love perfume too and am scarily addicted to Jo Malone's scents. My signature is her grapefruit, but I love layering different ones together. When I got married, my mom bought me the Jo Malone Orange Blossom perfume to wear down the aisle, because all brides should wear Orange Blossoms for good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Lee- Ha! Panera?! You funny.

    WhitMc- Oh, I love that! What a sweet story. I like your mama already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahhhh!!! i loooove smelling yummy.

    sad story of colone though. . . hubs had this stuff he always wore while we were dating. one day we were packing our car for a trip and he accidently dropped the bottle. *insert sad, horrified gasps*

    now my mission in life is to find 'That Smell' again.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so inspired by you and sprayed on my old college perfume from Victoria's Secret. When I went by the church to see KJ he said, "You smell good. I remember that smell."

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a good question to ask! Finding a good perfume can be so hard! It seems you certainly have good taste though :) My favorite (now) is Burberry Brit SHEER (not the normal one) it's light and feminine and lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Lynn's comment. And the way smells bring back memories of a time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicole- That is so unfortunate! My absolute fave, dare I say signature, perfume was made by BCBG. The day they stopped making it I think I cried and bought as many bottles as I could afford, 3 if my memory serves correctly. I only have about 1/4 of the last bottle left. Smelling it makes me happy and sad at the same time. Here's hoping you find That Smell again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynn- That makes me so happy. Glad you were inspired. I guess I could be partly responsible if another Pugh is created. ;)

    Erin- I'm with you. I have so many memories associated with smell.

    Maggy- I have had some Burberry in the past I liked, but I can't remember which. I'll have to check your flavah out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. :) If you are, I insist you come home to throw me a baby shower.

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh