Sunday, September 11, 2011

We all have a story to tell

I was 18 and a freshman in college.

I met a boy who I was totally into, pledged my favorite sorority and made friends among the upper classmen.

Life was perfect for my little 18-year-old self.

The evening of September 10, 2001, I spent the night at our southern Antebellum sorority house with some of those older girls, a privilege not to be taken lightly.

The morning of September 11, a friend across the hall ran into our room and franticly yelled, Get in here!

My next memories are hazy and clear at the same time. I remember we all went from being sound asleep to wide awake in an instant.

There must have been 12 of us gathered on a loveseat still in our pajamas watching the TV in absolute shock. The second plane had just crashed.

We were silent, a thing very rare among college girls.

I could not understand so many things in that moment, but what I did know was that this event, this horrible, tragic event did not fit happily into my New Boyfriend, Hot Sorority, Cool Friends gig.

Classes were cancelled for the rest of the day. We received emails from our university almost hourly with updates and plans for safety. Phone calls from parents flooded the hallways and bedrooms of our campus. There was an urgent need in the air to Do Something, but what could we do?

We sat and watched. In silence accompanied by silent tears.

Ten years later. September 11, 2011.

I sit in New York City, blocks away from where the Twin Towers once stood.

I live here. In this grand city that boasts so much magic and opportunity for some, tragedy and grief for many others.

I am married to another boy I met on that very college campus. I made some really solid friendships in that sorority. Some of them even stood beside me when I married that sweet man of mine.

Today, 10 years later, I have one feeling that remains the same.

I wish I could do something.

Anything to take away the pain, to erase the tragedy, to rewind time and change the course of events.

We all have a story to tell.

For those whose story includes love and lives lost from that fateful September 11, I wish there was something I could do.

I wished it then. I wish it now.

Some things never change no matter how much time passes.

4 comments:

  1. sweet post Molly. Heartfelt and sincere. Thinking of you and New York and all the people touched today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story--I was glad yesterday was safe in NY. We are soul sisters with our stories, mine is pretty much the same as yours, only I was at my boyfriend's house that morning (gasp, scandal!) when I got a call from one of my sorority sisters. I raced to the house where we all sat glued to the TV for the day. I am also married to another boy I met on that college campus. And I thought 10 years later I would not be as affected, but I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was thinking of you yesterday knowing you were in NY...just a year after the attacks is when matt lived there playing with the giants. so crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie- I didn't realize it was so soon after the attacks that Matt was here in the city. We really are all connected to that day in some form or another. Thank you for thinking about us.

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh