Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I did something they always said not to do

Remember the near heart failure that occurred in the '90s when your grandmother heard about people meeting someone online? Surely the only people that lurked the world wide web for dates were crazies! At that point, I think couples had rather say they met in a dirty dive bar than admit their relationship actually formed over the interwebs. These days, internet connections are much more commonplace. I have several friends who have met their match online and they aren't ashamed about it either.

Enter blogging. You can make a lot of connections through the blog world. It's pretty awesome how connected you can feel to someone you have only known through blog posts and pictures.

That's how Colleen and I first met. Online.

We had so much in common, the similarites were almost scary. Then I found out she lived in NYC and without any further thought, I suggested we should meet for drinks sometime. She agreed and we set the date.

It didn't even really hit me until just before I walked out the door. Justin was about to leave for work. I was about to meet my internet friend. I hugged him and said, Well, if she's crazy, this is her name and this is her blog and here is her number. He just laughed and said, I think you'll have a good time.

A good time, indeed.

Meet Colleen. She couldn't have been more wonderful. We talked and talked and talked.
And took pictures like the good bloggers we are. It felt like we'd been friends for years instead of minutes.

Colleen choose Eataly, a fab place to meet. You can enjoy all manner of meat + cheese + wine.
One interesting note: You don't sit, but rather, you stand at tall pub tables.


I accused Colleen of picking this spot on purpose in case she thought I was crazy and needed to make a run for it.

We extended the evening at another restaurant nearby. I think we talked until 1 am.
And it was a work nite for Colleen. Sorry, friend!

When I started blogging, I never anticipated meeting people online and forming actual friendships.
Colleen is now my bloggy friend and my real life friend. Pretty cool.

I am so thankful times are different.
And very happy to report Colleen isn't crazy!

6 comments:

  1. hahaha looooooove it. although i'm not sure if that last sentence is true ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun. :) I'm really glad you are an hour ahead of us, because I always look forward to a Molly Rigoloso post in the morning before the children awaken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear colleen,

    I am so jealous of you getting to meet mrs. rigoloso in real life and become real life friends.

    love,

    this lady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn- you are sweet. Glad to know we get to start the morning together.

    Candis- We're gonna make it happen, sister. Don't you worry.

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh