Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The '90s called...

And apparently wanted to remind me of some long forgotten childhood memories...

We'll start with this paperback I am quite certain I bought at my school's book fair.
Making your selections at that annual grand event was no small matter.
I'm glad to see I chose such a timeless, unauthorized piece.

Next up, my first phone.
Friends, you may not understand the enormity of what you see before you.
I wanted my very own phone in my room for what felt like ages... and not just any phone,
mind you, that phone.
Sweet mercy, I loved that thing. And yes, it did light up when it rang, only adding to it's glory.

MC Hammer, Can't Touch This / Amy Grant, Lucky One / Martina McBride, Independence Day /
Hootie & the Blowfish, Let Her Cry

Cassingles.
Or cassette singles to those of you born after 1983.
Wikipedia describes these jewels as a music single in the form of a compact cassette.
While accurate, this definition fails to mention the sheer awesomeness that was a cassingle.
Friday nights meant going out to dinner with the family
 and picking out a new cassingle to add to my collection.
Glory days, I tell you.

Quad City DJ's, C'Mon 'N Ride It (The Train) / TLC, Waterfalls / Selena, Dreaming of You /
Tag Team, Whoomp There It Is

All 4 One, I Swear / Deep Blue Something, Breakfast at Tiffany's /
Puff Daddy & Faith Evans, I'll Be Missing You (Tribute to the Notorious B.I.G.)

Cassingles were purchased at Camelot, the music store at our local mall.
I found my Frequent Customer Card inside my ole Dooney Bourke.

Lest you think all I did was jam out to cassingles and talk on my phone,
I'd like to  present other evidence.
I have enjoyed writing for as long as I can remember. 
 There is still a hint of the soft, powdery smell of those colorful, pastel pages locked safely away.

Lastly, not only was I a frequent flyer at Camelot Music, but also at Surprises Inside
or the Hello Kitty store as I called it.

The '90s may have called, but I'm keeping my cassingles.
And the Dooney.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh my sister and I had that SAME phone!! And I remember cassingles hahaha xD I have a few from Savage Garden and BSB.

    Great memory lane post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Love it, Molly! Love the 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, what a great post. I had a phone exactly like that. I also had a camelot card and a surprises inside card. They are all attached to such good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT was awesome. Quintessential 90's. I didn't have a lot of those things, but oh, how I longed for them. Such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet memories . . . the good ol' days! We had it made and had no idea. I remember your Dooney, and do you think she would still honor the Surprises Inside cards? I've got a dozen stashed away like you. ;) jmg

    ReplyDelete
  6. this. is. amazing.

    QUAD CITY DJS!! AH!

    All of this stuff brought back such fun memories. My sister had that phone in her room and I loved wasting money in that hello kitty store. CASSINGLES! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly, I KNEW there was a lot of stuff stored away in your room here at home, but, I had no idea of so many memories! And there is still more for another visit home! I loved those years and I love the now. I especially love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. hilarious...remember all of those things! what about the dual-colored swatch phones where you could pick up the bottom and listen in to the convo? that was bad news for terri teenage girls pranking and the like!

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh