Wednesday, April 13, 2011

right now at this very moment


It's raining.

One of those good, stout rains that make alot of noise.

Tink, tink, tink, thud. Tink, tink, tink, thud.

I love good rain storms like that.

Perfect for reading.

And also for writing.

I just wrote something.

An email to my husband who is at work.

The email read:

I wrote something.
A short story, maybe.
I don't really know what to call it.
All I know is you promised God and man that you'd always love me which means I can be my most vulnerable self with you.
So here it is... the first thing I've ever written, I guess.
I'd love to know your thoughts.
Mostly, I want you to know that I love you.
Oh... and I am thankful about that promise you made.
That we made.
ps... could you bring home some diet coke?

So it's official. I attached what I'd just written to my man.

I wrote something, I thought to myself.

In the wake of doing so, I am left with a weight of varying emotion:

Surely this isn't the first thing I've ever written? I have a degree in print journalism for-cryin-out-loud which required many a writing class, creative writing even.

I blog.

I write letters.

I journal.

But this thing I wrote? It's something altogether different.

I like what I wrote... I think.

Is that true? Do I like what I wrote?

I feel empowered.

Wait.

I also feel extremely vulnerable.

But I kinda want to write more.

I do. I know I do.

I've had this line rolling around in my head for months, literally months now.

For a while I thought I'd read it somewhere else.

I called my cousin who happens to be a very talented writer.

"Did some of your writing start with this line ___________?" I asked her.

"No," she replied. "It must be a Molly original."

Empowered and vulnerable, I tell you.

I don't know that I am ready to share my newly written work in this space... I'm still trying to figure out who my audience is on this blog anyway.

But what I do know is this:

I wrote something.

And it felt good.

And scary.

And I'll probably do it again.

The rain has slowed.

Now it's more of a tink... tink...

But that's okay, too.

Because right now at this very moment I am going to make a statement and if it were a'storming you might not be able to hear me:

My name is Molly and I wrote something.

Does that make me a writer? Maybe in some circles.

Maybe. Just maybe.

12 comments:

  1. You are a writer, most definitely. Proud of you.

    Laughed about the diet coke part :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are a writer. I know it's terrrrrrrifying to bare your soul through words, but I hope you'll share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an excellent writer, Mols. I wish I could write half as well as you do. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I'm here. A faithful audience member.
    2. I love to read.
    3. I love to surround my self with talented people...nurses, accountants, painters, glass makers, etc. AND I'm in the market for a writer.
    4. I pick you as the writer to fill that void in my life.
    5. What in this world were you doing up at 3am?
    6. That's crazy talk!
    Love you,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a wonderful writer. I want to read your words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely a writer...that happens to write a lot...& i mean a lot of stuff that i like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, my dear Molly, you are absolutely a writer and in my opinion a writer with amazing style and voice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a writer but, you my dear are a writer. I saw your name on someone's blog I read and checked you out months ago. I am still checking you out, daily! I love your personality and writing style. I am not a writer but I am most assuredly a reader. Trust your heart and listen to God's whispers. Praying for you in this new adventure. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. repeat after me... I, Molly, am the most superb writer! It have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh keep going! I love the idea that writing what you wrote scared you. I assume it's in a butterflies in your stomach not sure what your doing but having a great time doing it way? That's what life is all about. :)

    I hope we all get to read it someday!!!

    p.s. Got your email, writing you back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um, hello? "A synopsis of infectious and tropical diseases"????? Did you buy that for ME? Sheesh, I NEED a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh