Saturday, March 26, 2011

a game we play

try not to be envious of our nose rings, our adorable pup or our youthful glow

My bff Sassy and I started playing this game together in college. I cannot remember the exact day or the specific origin, but it went a little something like this...

Sassy (aka Allison): Mols, what song do have in your head right now?
Mols (aka yours truly): pause... Umm... it's actually Come Thou Fount (a traditional hymn for those of you not familiar)
Sassy: Oh...
Mols: Why? What song do you have in your head right now?
Sassy: Oh... Umm...well... it's uh... Baby Got Back

Chicago trip 2006

It became A Thing. A game of sorts. Now, you must understand Sassy and I share a love of music across a wide spectrum. We share a propensity toward lesser known artists all the way to being hardcore Dave fans (don't mess with us, we are old-generation-Dave, thankyouverymuch).

However, I did develop a pattern for having a worship song in my head on the occasions Sass would be inclined toward old school rap... and then sometimes the tables would turn & I'd be feeling some Outkast while Sass was into a rendering of How Great Thou Art.

The Game continues today via text, mostly. And it's also worked it's way into my marriage.

You should try it sometime. With your friend. With a coworker. With your respective other. The answers can prove quite hilarious.

Here... I'll leave you with this...

Me: Hey J, what song's in your head right now?
J: Christmas Shoes
Me: Oh nice!
J: What about you?
Me: Gangsters Paradise

totally unrelated pic, just cause i dig this guy & it's my blog

Your turn. What song's in your head?

7 comments:

  1. You must know that I just did a blog post similar to this called, "Soundtrack of my Life." I think you should take a look! What would YOUR soundtrack be... or J's??
    And my song is "Rainy Days and Mondays" by the Carpenters :)

    www.kirby-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now it goes something like this:

    "...Cinderella, dressed in yella
    Come sit next to me you fine fella...."

    Payton likes it just because it has the word Cinderella in it but she can sing it with the best of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! Love the picture of you and J too!!! great blog molly!~
    lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a song in my head right this second, so I'm going to put one there now. iTunes just started "Shower the People" by James Taylor. That's a good one, don'tcha think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. gangsters paradise. thank you very much. as soon as I read those words the lyrics came poring into my mind....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lately, I keep waking up with the world's most annoying song in my head...a different one every day. Thank god the baby can't hear what's in my head. This morning is was that godawful G6 song. Whaaa?

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is "All I do is win, win, no matter what...

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh