Wednesday, January 19, 2011

a grand ole time

One of the cool things about moving to New York has been reconnecting with my grad school
friend Sarah Beth.

Sarah Beth & her man Tim made brunch reservations for us to welcome us into the city.
Tim is a native of England. His accent rocks.

Brunch took place at Stanton Social on the Lower East Side.

swanky & beautiful

To quote The Stanton Social menu...
Rather than offering individual starters and main courses, The Stanton Social serves dishes that are designed for sharing among friends and are brought to the table steadily and continuously throughout the meal.

We thank you, Stanton Social, for one ahmazing meal.
Thank you very, very much.

we started with warm doughnuts & caramel dipping sauce

huevos rancheros soft tacos

grilled apple & brie quesadillas with smoked bacon

french onion soup dumplings

spicy lamb souvlakis

mac & cheese with chorizo & ovendried tomatoes

SB is my hero for introducing us to this lovely place. We'll be back for sure.

Up next...

J & I took the Staten Island Ferry

we said hello to Lady Liberty

Justin looks like he's in pain & I would have put my whole head in my hat if I could have...
we were experiencing a wind chill of  9 in case you were wondering

loved this sign

we decided we needed nourishment... we had just survived that wind chill, after all

delicious pretzel snack!
wish you could see my feet... they were covered in snow

the view of our new city from the ferry ride back

quite the beauty

This is Ground Zero.
The picture does not do this place justice. To go from building after building so tightly packed together it's like a puzzle to this vast open space where two buildings once were...
I'm telling you it was somber and solemn and breathtaking all at once.

the Wall Street charging bull

I met up with Sarah Beth one evening for drinks at The Campbell Apartment

The interior of this place was amazing. I fell in love with this spindled armoire.

NYmag describes The Campbell Apartment like this...
Tucked away in Grand Central Station, this classy lounge is the restored private office of
early twentieth-century tycoon John W. Campbell... sip your Scotch while you pretend you’re in a Hemingway novel.

I skipped the Scotch, but the candied apple martini was oh so good indeed.

Grand Central Station is aptly named, I must say.
It was amazing to be among the hustle & bustle as the commuters
ran swiftly by to catch their train.

I think you and I've become fast friends, New York.

6 comments:

  1. love. love. love. hope to visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty places. And doughnuts with caramel dipping sauce...you've got to be kidding me. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously...i feel like i've been to NYC after reading this post:) thanks for that. enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am I allowed to be a little jealous? just wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly
    I'd like to publish your photo of The Campbell Bar in a Brit Guide to New York. Will you contact me via sales@foulsham.com marked for the attnn of Wendy Hobson.
    Thanks
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh