Wednesday, May 5, 2010

the function of man is to live, not exist

As most of you know, we’re headed to Oakland California for my first travel nursing assignment. One of the areas we might be located is Jack London Square {named after the author of Call of the Wild}. The square has a statue of Jack London with a quote he wrote that reflects our desires and reasons to travel. I think it artfully sums up this whole process of us getting started with all the joys and difficulties a new adventure brings. Hope you enjoy. Justin

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze
than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow,
than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.
Jack London

credit:photoshelter

7 comments:

  1. CALL ME BACK!!!!!!!! love u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Justin. London's words were very inspiring, reminding me to redeem the time, not wasting a moment of this vapor life! (I too often waste time!)

    We are so excited about your adventure ahead. Though sad to see you and your precious bride go so far away, the joy of what the Lord has in store for you guys only deems the sadness selfish. Therefore, selfishness aside, we are thrilled!!

    And MOLLY!! I can't wait to see you! We are closing on a house tomorrow, and it will definitely need some Molly lovin'! I know you have a ton on your plate at the moment. I would love to steal you away, for my heart's sake. . . and, if there is time, my house's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these people! I sure will miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved sharing time with you guys tonight. Better get some sleep now, in hopes of a fun-filled Molly morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pix! What an adventure ya'll have ahead of you.. enjoy every minute of! Thanks for sharing.. keep the pix coming.. Luv ya'll, Jan & Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like you are getting settled. oh California i hope they know they have some great people in their state.

    ReplyDelete

good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,

and just as hard to sleep after.

anne morrow lindbergh